Can I Get a Legal Order to Keep an Abuser Away From Me?

You may want to consider getting a protective order (PPO) to keep your abuser away from you. In many jurisdictions, this type of order is temporary and deals only with issues of temporary custody and parenting time. If you are seeking a permanent order, you must file a family law case. If the abuser has been convicted of a crime or committed another crime, you may want to get a restraining order.

In order to obtain a protective order, the abuser must be removed from the petitioner’s current residence or future residence. The abuser must also stay away from all places where you work, take your children to school, or care for your children. The abuser is not required to disclose his or her current residential address on the petition. The abuser may only list this address as his or her contact address if he or she agrees to let you serve papers to him or her.

Depending on the type of abuse, an order may include some or all of the following: a court order may also prohibit the abuser from purchasing firearms. The abuser must turn over any firearms to the victim. The court will also consider other factors, such as the abuser’s health, and the child’s relationship with each parent. Additionally, a court order will specify when the abuser is permitted to visit his or her children.

A restraining order issued by a court can only be enforced for a year. If the abuser is unwilling to comply with the protective order, he or she may request a hearing within thirty days. If the abuser does not appear for the hearing, it will remain in effect until the abuser has agreed to comply with the court’s orders. The judge may also make a hearing for custody or parenting time.

If you are unsure about how to get one, you can file a complaint with the police. Usually, a police officer will serve the abuser with a temporary order. The court will then give you a temporary order unless your abuser fails to appear. You will have a hearing in court during regular business hours, and you do not have to go with your abuser.

During this time, the police may also enforce restraining orders. Depending on the nature of the violation, the abuser may be arrested and held in jail until the judge has a chance to hear the case. If the abuser violates the order, the abuser can be sentenced to 10 percent of bail or even jail time. Once the abuser is jailed, he or she may be punished by the court with a fine or even jail time.

Once the temporary order is in place, you must go back to court to get a permanent one. A judge may ask questions about the case and decide to issue a temporary order, or they may issue a permanent order after the hearing. If you have children, make sure to tell the Judge that you need temporary child support until you can get a permanent order. You can also ask the judge to appoint a lawyer for you.